Sport Premium Funding
What is the Sports Premium?
In April 2013 the Government announced new funding of £150 million for Physical Education (PE) and sport. This funding should be used to improve the quality and breadth of PE and Sport provision. Schools are free to determine how best to use this funding to improve the quality and breadth of PE and Sport provision, including increasing participation in PE and Sport so that all pupils develop healthy lifestyles and reach the performance levels they are capable of.
As of 2017-18, the sport Premium has doubled and Schools with 17 or more eligible pupils receive £16,000 and an additional payment of £10 per pupil.
This funding is provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport. Our total funding for the 2017/18 is £21,450
The funding must be used to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sports provision. Below is a link to our full report on how we plan to spend this year’s allocation, how the grant has been spent in previous years and the effect of this expenditure on the educational attainment of those pupils for whom the funding was allocated.
How are we using the funding to benefit our children?
At Oasis Academy Temple we have allocated the funding in a number of ways to benefit as many of our children as possible:
- Professional development opportunities for PE co-ordinator
- Implementation of new PE curriculum and resources
- PE co-ordinator, monitoring the standard of PE teaching across the school through observations and pupil voice. Improving the quality of teaching and learning in PE.
Staff professional development:
- Professional development opportunities for staff provided by PE leader co-ordinator and external agencies
- Providing cover to release staff for professional development in PE and sport
- Teachers working alongside Manchester City in the Community coaches – team teaching
- Continuing to run sports activities in school and increasing pupils’ participation in the intra and inter school competitions
- Providing places for pupils in after school sports clubs. E.g. MCFC sports coaches, Teaching staff and teaching assistants leading clubs
- Pooling the additional funding with that of other local schools to develop inter school competitions
- Increasing children’s participation in Outdoor and Adventurous Activities across the school through Manchester Passport to Adventures and permanently fitting an orienteering course in our school grounds
- Raising the profile of Muslim girls accessing sport and fitness activities. E.g. Girls only swimming and cycling.
- School sports trips to Lancashire County Cricket Club with a focus on improving maths and literacy
- Whole school events to raise the profile of PE and school sports. E.g. Sports relief, School games day, PE events with a network with local schools, world cup event, hosting Everyone’s a Winner competitions for local schools
- Children’s sports leaders course
Above you will find our latest report for our Sports Premium Funding.
Key information included within the report includes:
- How much we recieved
- How we are spending the money this year
- How our premium programme has affected our pupil's PE and sport participation and attainment
- How we intend to ensure these improvements are sustainable.